umc.org 
 

 

Pierre First United Methodist Church
117 North Central Avenue, Pierre SD 57501-0579

 

Worship MOPS Camps About Us
Our Staff and Pastors Contact Us Find Us Past & Future Links

Our Past

Original church  


From our 1880 beginnings, moving from hardware store, dance hall, and railroad station to our own first building on the east side of Fort Street in 1881...

First church building  



Then in 1883 moving to the first church at our current location. But with a membership of 150, the church was growing more crowded in the building boom in Pierre in the early 1900s.



The Present

In 1910 work began on the current building, a magnificent structure which was built to represent Methodism in the Capitol City...

Current church building  

With great vision, the 1910 building included space for the first library in Pierre, a gymnasium, and a plunge pool. It also took much sacrifice and much prayer to realize the ambitious and bold vision.

In ministry to the community, we opened our doors to the Pierre Schools for extra classroom space while Oahe Dam was being built.

First UMC continues to be appreciated throughout the region for the glorious stained glass, magnificent pipe organ, and a welcoming ministry to all persons in need of the church's ministries.

It seems "Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors" is nothing new to us!

Now, to continue our ministry to our members, to the community, and to the world beyond our doors, we are once again looking with new vision...


Into the Future

Seeking to fill our needs for more classroom space, more accessible fellowship space and kitchen, and to gather all our ministries under one roof with modern amenities, we are on the threshold of continuing our bold heritage.
Current church building
As our mission statement says, "First United Methodist Church boldly promotes spiritual growth, rooted in scripture and inclusive of all."

We are a "Chosen Generation" building not just on our property, but on our heritage and on our faith! And we believe the best is yet to come!


Back to Top


Last Revised: September 8, 2015

The content of these home pages is the responsibility of Eugene Collett. Please send feedback to Eugene Collett.